Re: Why nylock nuts?

To: barneymg@MGAguru.com
Subject: Re: Why nylock nuts?
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 09:35:27 -0500
   Nuts, one says.  So I went into Machinery's Handbook to see what
additional wisdom could be made to this discussion of nuts.  Who among us
who is not an engineer would ever think that in the index would be, under
"Nuts":
   Acorn
   ANSI inch dimension:
        flat jam
        hex
        hex flat
        hex high
        hex slotted
        hex slotted high
        hex thick slotted
        jam
        machine screw
        square
        T-type  (not, alas, MG T type in this ANSI category)
        Unified
  ANSI, metric
        heavy hex
        hex flange
        hex jam
        hex, styles 2 and 3
        prevailing torque, hex
        prevailing torque, hex flange
        slotted hex
  British Standard
        fine
        ISO metric
        metric
        Unified
        Whitworth
        crown, low and high
        eye nuts
        high, SAE
        slotted, high hex
        wing nuts
        wrench clearances  (tables showing space to design around nuts)
        wrench openings  (there are standards for this sort of thing)

   Nothing written about nylock nuts.
  There are 67 fine-print pages about nuts, though a few pages about
washers are included in that count.  Howabout a page on British Standard
Double Coil Rectangular Section Spring Washers, Metric Series, Type D?
 Ever even seen one of these?

   Next time we wander into the hardware store to get a couple of nuts to
refasten the rusty wheelbarrow, or to Moss to get a set of connecting rod
nuts, we can appreciate the magnitude of the engineers' and
manufacturers'  task to get the right metal into the right shape, the
right size, the right thread, the right finish, at an affordable price,
into our hands so we can go back to our garage and drop the nut onto the
floor where it rolls irretrievably under a cabinet.
Bob