Re: Why nylock nuts?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Why nylock nuts?
From: "Paul M." <rowman22001@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 09:29:40 -0800 (PST)
--- "Paul Hunt (T)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
wrote:
> one of the reasons why
> aluminium was used, from all
> those scrap Spitfires and Lancaster's (ouch!)

My father is a retired airline pilot and former
fighter pilot.  Whenever I tell him any of my "car
that got away" stories (like when I was offered a very
nice Aston DB5 in 1984 for $13,000 - of course I was
17 years old and $13K was every bit as out of reach
then as $100k is today) he comes back and tells me
that he could buy a Supermarine Spitfire BRAND NEW in
a crate - never assembled - for $1500 in the early
1960's.  Apparently there were plenty of them
available.

Man, he kicks himself for passing one of those up.
(Of course, he was 20 years old at the time, and $1500
was every bit as out of reach then as...)

=====
Paul Misencik
1971 MGB Vintage Race Project
Huntersville, NC  USA