Re: UK Scam??

To: Bill Snyder <wtsnyder@juno.com>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: UK Scam??
From: Rocky Frisco <rock@rocky-frisco.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2003 14:04:11 -0600
Bill Snyder wrote:

> I posted a car for sale on the MG Enthusiast's site on Saturday to be
> distributed in the US and Canada. Yesterday, I received a request for
> more info and a photo, followed by an offer to buy from a gent in the UK.
> I wrote back voicing my skepticism and fear of scams from perspective
> overseas buyers and stated that my terms would be cash or cashiers check
> for the exact anount with adequate time for the check to clear the bank
> before the car would be released. He has now requested my address so that
> his secretary can immediately send me the cashiers's check.
>
> The fellow gives his name as Cap. Mark and he has a UK email address.
>>From the way he writes gramatically, I suspect that he is not a native
> Englishman.
>
> I want to sell my car, but I also want to make sure that I don't get
> conned in some way. Does anyone have knowledge of car buying scams
> originating from the UK? Has anyone ever heard of this chap or had any
> dealings with him? Any further advice on how to avoid getting beaten?
>
> Thanks as always for your input.

Here's how the scam works (if it IS a scam): He sends you some sort of
bank draft or cheque for a goodly amount MORE than you asked, then
requests a refund of the overpayment. When you send it, he stops payment
on his end and disappears. This has worked a few times and people have
reported being stung, so I would be very careful.

If you have an address for him, send it to me and I'll have one of my UK
friends check up on him.

-Rock    http://www.rocky-frisco.com
--
Tulsa LIBERTYFEST, Dec. 21st, 2003: http://www.tulsalibertyfest.com