Re: MGB Engine Removal

To: "MG Digest" <mgs@autox.team.net>, "James Schulte"
Subject: Re: MGB Engine Removal
From: "Norm" <twobees@sprynet.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2004 11:16:09 -0500

> Norm,
> Just getting the shaft to line up and enter properly. Like I said,
sometimes
> no problem and others just not able to line it up right.
> JIm

Jim:

Here's what I've done -
A - when installing clutch/pressure plate, use clutch alignment tool.
Wiggle it around as you get to point where clutch disk is about to be
clamped solidly to make sure all is centered.  Also, be sure the tool is
able to slide freely.  And, don't remove the tool until the engine is about
to be dropped into the car.
B - Drop engine in at approximately same angle as necessary to align with
trans input shaft.
C - Use floor jack under bell housing (front of trans) to raise or lower as
needed to get near perfect alignment.  It is usually necessary to raise it
as high as possible.
D - Use the spatial relationship between the engine backing plate & the
front edge of trans case to judge alignment.
E - Keep trans in gear & parking brake applied to keep input shaft from
moving. Use brute force to rock engine side-to-side & if necessary a wrench
on the crankshaft pulley bolt to mesh splines.

I generally drop the engine in a bit further back than what would allow the
pressure plate to slip by the input shaft.  That means I have to pull it
forward to clear the shaft.  But, it also means that the engine will want to
swing aft onto the shaft.  As soon as I get things to mesh, I release the
brake & push/pull the car forward a couple of inches so the engine hangs
freely in its approximate final position.  Then just start bolting it in.

Like I said, I've had too much practice doing this recently.  And, it's
always been a solo job.  The great advantage of having an electric winch
mounted on an I-beam is that I can raise or lower the engine in small
increments.  It even allowed me to re-install the body on the Turner by
myself last year.  It had taken three of us to remove it. I wonder how I'll
manage to set up a system like this in my next house.  Was looking at a
couple of houses under construction last week in Florida & I'll probably
have to construct a frame on wheels to do it as the spans in garages are too
wide.  Here in CT I have a concrete foundation on one side of the I-beam &
three joined 2 x 10's resting on lolly column's on the other.  We'll see.

Norm Sippel
'66 MGB
'59 Turner