Re: MGB Engine Removal

To: "Charles & Peggy Robinson" <ccrobins@ktc.com>, <Mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: MGB Engine Removal
From: "James Schulte" <schultejim@msn.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 18:51:37 -0800
  CR,
  Trust me when I tell you, I'm not arguing as much as I'm agreeing. However,
I used and did all you suggested and still had a problem with a particular
rebuild. Whether the car was jinxed or what, I don't know.  I had my good
friend helping me and he had done several successfully himself. He was
scratching his head more then I was.  I talked to a guy that has worked on
MG's for 40 years and he said the same. Sometimes they just don't want to
cooperate (-:
  Jim
  70B
  69C

     If, when you pull the engine out, you make sure to get the lift angle
  on the engine such that the engine slips off of the clutch/pilot shaft
  smoothly, instead of having to be pried off, it makes reassembly much
  easier.  What you do is make sure you suspend the engine at the same
  angle as you did when you removed it.  Of course it goes without saying
  that using a dummy pilot shaft (AKA clutch alignment tool) to align the
  clutch disk precisely with the pilot bushing is a must.

     Cheers,

      CR