Re: New rear disk brakes

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: New rear disk brakes
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 12:27:33 -0800
Oh boy. I'm glad you made it out of there under your own power (and not on
the end of a hook, or in an ambulance).

Your experience illustrates why I was so skeptical of rear discs on a street
B when the idea was proposed recently. More rear braking is really not what
the doctor ordered*. If you could balance it with 12" slotted front rotors
and 4-piston calipers, you might have something (though on typically skinny
MGB street tires you'd mainly have 4-wheel lock-up). What you need is a
proportioning valve to dial back the rear braking... probably pretty much to
the point where it's exactly the same as the old drums.

My understanding was that a limited slip diff would promote understeer,
unless you had gobs of power. That seems to be what occurred when you
understeered straight off the track.

So now you seem to have a combination of power-on understeer and rear
lock-up under braking -- that doesn't sound like the optimum setup for
predictable handling (to say the least).

It looks like you are faced wth another round of upgrades: vastly improved
front braking, and greatly increased horsepower. Or, I suppose you could
just chuck it and go back to where you were. You might want to talk to
fellow racers with similar setups (if there are any) to see if they have any
suggestions.

*On my Barracuda list we had a similar discussion recently. Someone was
advocatiing upgrading the rear drums to larger diameter, wider units from a
full-size Chrysler. My response was this was unnecessary and foolish -- the
rears tend to lock up first, anyway, due to the front weight bias, and it
adds both rotating mass and unsprung weight. At least the rear discs are
presumably better on those two counts.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149