RE: From wires to bolt-on

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: From wires to bolt-on
From: "James Nazarian" <jhn3@uakron.edu>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 00:51:15 -0500
I have definitely had a problem going the other way.  We have a 74 that was
a disc wheel car converted to wires.  The tires stick out so far that the
fender edges have cut almost all the way through the sidewall of the tires
in the rear.  We have never put many miles on the car for this reason.  We
have a spare wire wheel axle prepped and ready to go under the car, just
have to find the time to do so.  I'm not sure about going wires to bolt ons.

The nearest thing I have to an opinion is this:  When I used to autocross my
bolt on equipped 71, I would get light tire rub on the inner fenders (above
the frame rails near shock bolts).  It was only enough to buff the dirt off
of the metal, it didn't even go into the paint.  This was with 185/70-R14s.
I would think that if you had a narrower axle and didn't have a panhard rod,
that this rub would get much worse, probably enough to hurt exit speed but I
doubt it would do much else since the area that the tires rub is smooth.
There just isn't anything in there to catch a tire on, or to cut into it.

James Nazarian
71 MGBGT V8
71 MGB Tourer