RE: Carb & Trans Oil Questions

To: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>,
Subject: RE: Carb & Trans Oil Questions
From: "Christian, Skip" <wellner.christian@navy.mil>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2004 11:42:34 -0400
Thanks Paul and everyone else who responded to my questions !!!

        I've been running Amsoil 20-w50 plus a PTFE additive.  Found that the
PTFE (Teflon in suspension) really helps with older gearboxes.  Gear selector
is tight - no slop.  I think the noise is coming from inside the box - gears
and/or bearings.  I was just wondering if gear oil would cause the box to make
less noise.  If no one knows, I'll try it and report the results.
        I packed the ends of the carb throttle shafts with grease and the too
fast idle problem disappeared.  I guess I need either new carbs or shafts and
bushings.  I will probably junk the HIFs and install HS4s.  The thing about the
SUs I like the most is their simplicity and the HS series work fine and are the
most basic.  Unless someone can tell me why the HIFs are better (a lot of
people have told me to keep the HIFs, but no one has provided a good reason), I
plan to switch to HS-4s.  Anyone - why are HIF4s better than HS4s (not
including emissions) ?????

Skip '74 B