Re: electronic ignition

To: bernd <bernd.vabeach@erols.com>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: electronic ignition
From: James Harwood <james.harwood@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 18:55:45 -0700 (PDT)
--- bernd <bernd.vabeach@erols.com> wrote:
> Hello all:
>
> is there any positive or negative feedback out in
> the MGB community concerning
> the Pertronic Electronic Ignition.
> I'm thinking of installing the elct. ignition
> system, TRF has them on sale
> now,  and would appreciate any feedback from
> previous or present experiences,
> as always thanks to everyone in advance.
> Bernie
> 71  MGB
> Chesapeake, Virginia

Bernie
I had a bit of a problem with the Pertronix on
installation. The gap between the rotor (the sleeve
that fits over the cam) and the pickup seemed rather
large. About twice as much as the little plastic
feeler gauge that came with the unit. And the adaptor
plate didn't allow any adjustment. When using an
ignition timing light, I noticed that the timing was
quite erratic.

Deciding that I had nothing to lose, I took a needle
file to the hole in the adaptor plate that is fixed
with the pan-head screw and elongated it to allow the
pickup to get closer to the rotor.

The modification did make a big difference. The timing
light showed a much more consistent reading.

James
74 MGB