Re: electronic ignition

To: bernd.vabeach@erols.com
Subject: Re: electronic ignition
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 07:48:36 -0400
Bernie,
    My MGB's distributor shaft bushing is worn so ignition timing was
randomly variable.   I bought a new bushing but the machine shop said it
was wrong size.  As it was the beginning of prime driving season and
Pertronics were on sale, I bought one, installed it, retimed the engine
and have been happy with it for three years.   The shaft still wobbles,
but the effect on timing is much less with Pertronic than with points.
    I was so enthused about it that a friend had one installed in a
Mallory distributor on the Chev 350 engine in his boat.  Ran great,
revved up perfectly. Did splendidly for about eight miles out into Long
Island Sound, whereupon the Pertronics died.
   My experience was good. His was an expensive tow back to harbor.
Bob