Torque Sequence

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Torque Sequence
From: "Larry Daniels" <ladaniels@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 13:38:20 -0500
Hi gang,

It's Friday afternoon and I'm sitting at my desk thinking about MG's instead
of working.  (Shhh)

I have often wondered why the sequence for unbolting the head is the same as
for bolting it down.  If the idea of starting at the center and working your
way out is to prevent putting unnatural stresses on the head, why wouldn't one
do the exact reverse sequence when releasing the pressure on the head?  It
would make sense in my feeble little mind that, in either case, one would not
want the ends to be tightened while the middle of the head is not.  Where am I
going astray here?

Also, I read that when retorquing the head one should -- again in sequence --
loosen each nut a quarter turn and then retorque them.  I'm not clear on
whether all of the nuts should be loosened and then all retorqued or each
should be loosened and then retorqued and then move on to the next nut in
succession.  I wouldn't want to upset the MG gods by torquing my nuts wrong.
That's as close to an obvious joke as I will go.

Back to work!

Larry Daniels

79 MGB LE