Re: electronic ignition

To: <ptegler@cablespeed.com>
Subject: Re: electronic ignition
From: "Don Vierling" <Don.Vierling@stago-us.com>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 16:27:51 -0400
Paul,
I don't know anything about the Pertronix directions.  I only have my
Uncle's anecdotal evidence of what worked for him and he told me he is
running a bigger gap on his plugs now.  Obviously, your results may
vary.  I don't know if he swapped out his coil either.  He's pretty
"frugal", so he probably just put in the ignitor module only.  I do know
on my 1978 MGB the stock plug gap is .035 inches.  Of course, that is
with the stock Lucas 45DE distributor and electronic "Opus" ignition.  I
now have an after market Piranha (IR optical) ignition installed by a
PO.  It all seems to be working for the moment.
Keeping my fingers crossed,
donny v
1978 MGB

>>> <ptegler@cablespeed.com> 5/14/2004 12:57:21 PM >>>

The Pertronix alone does not constitute a re-gap to a larger setting.
Without  a hotter coil
you won't get the extra voltage needed to jump the gap. Also
remember....the  higher the compression, the harder it is to jump the
gap.

I've never 'adjusted' the clearance on any of my four current LBCs
running the modules. I just bolted them in.  I've never had a problem.

Paul Tegler
ptegler@cablespeed.com
www.teglerizer.com