RE: Plugged Gas tank

To: "'Allan R. Hovis'" <hovisa@mindspring.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Plugged Gas tank
From: "James Nazarian" <jhn3@uakron.edu>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 22:41:31 -0400
There is a filter element permanently attached to the pickup tube.  It looks
a lot like the element inside a glass fuel filter.  There is no way to get
at it without opening up the tank.  Either try to blow it out with air or
you will need to cut the tank open.  I tried to blow the one out on my V8
but the element wouldn't tear.  If you do decide to cut the tank open, make
sure that you get all of the gas out, rinse it a few times until it doesn't
smell like gas anymore.  For safety I would still fill it with water before
you cut it open.  After you finish you will also need to weld it closed, and
get a perfect seal; so you need to ask yourself if it is worth the trouble
or if you just want to get another one.

James Nazarian
71 MGBGT V8
71 MGB Tourer