Re: Hot weather overheating

To: hwmccullough@earthlink.net
Subject: Re: Hot weather overheating
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 07:26:08 -0400
Hi Sandy,
  First of all, you need to be certain that it really is overheating.
One way is to loosen rad cap so pressure does not build up, then drive
around until engine is completely warmed up and to stick a kitchen
thermometer into radiator top tank.  It's not unusual to find that the
gauge needle is pretty far to the right yet the water temp leaving the
thermostat is OK. Owners have found themselves worrying unnecessarily
because the gauge needle is not centered.
   Retarded spark can lead to overheating. Check that it's to specs (16
degrees @ 1500 is approx - confirm with the sticker on the car) or a
couple of degrees advanced over spec.
   Lean fuel mix runs hot too. Look at the spark plugs and judge from
their color.
   Are there badges, driving lamps or other fixtures impeding air flow to
radiator?
   Does your engine have the correct fan? The yellow plastic fan is said
to pull more air through the radiator than the earlier metal fan.
   What is your antifreeze mix?  A 50/50 mix doesn't absorb and transfer
heat as well as 30/70.
  Brakes dragging? Underinflated tires? Increased rolling resistance for
any reason?
Bob
'72 GT