Re: De-Smog or Re- Smog ?

To: "Eugene Balinski" <eugeneb@nni.com>, "mgs@autox.team.net"@m1.name2host.com
Subject: Re: De-Smog or Re- Smog ?
From: "Rick Lindsay" <rick@stoolhead.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 14:41:59 -0500
I'll weigh in.

I believe that de-smogging is dependent upon more
than a few criteria.

First: If smog gear is required on your car or
if you are scared by removing it, you may be best
advised to not remove it.  The freightening thing
is that in many states it is illegal for you to
even touch it!  ...which is of course, just
stupid.

Second: If you show your car in concours class,
working emissions equipment avoids points
deductions.

Third: If you are overtly 'green' it may make you
feel good to have it in place and working.

Fourth: If you want maximixed performance,
consider taking it off.  It will lighten the car
and make it 'breathe' easier.  Remember, an engine
is an 'air pump'.  The more effeciently you can
make it breath, the more power you will have to
go faster.

We must remember that many of the emissions tricks
used when our cars were new were just cludges and
stop-gaps.  Some probably never worked adequately
and when they did, they were grossly ineffecient.

My '79 Ferrari 308GTB is fully European or
'standard' specification.  It develops 265hp at
7700rpm.  The same car in USA specification makes
205hp at a similar engine speed.  The compression
ratio is lower, the carbs are jetted differently,
and the air pump is fitted as is the cat
converter.  Cost: 60hp!  That's about an MG
Midget's worth of power!!!  Imagine what it does
to our LBC engines.

Here in Oklahoma there are rhumors of inspections
returning.  They would require that our cars be
inspected by the authorized dealors!  Wonder who
suggested and is backing that?!  The only hope for
us is that there will be an old-car or limited-
use-car exemption.  Either way, my 'fun' cars
have no emissions gear on them.  If I have to
pull my limited use toy cars off the road because
they may make a tiny fraction of what millions
of Honda Accords make, I will consider moving.  A
friend of mine just immigrated to New Zealand to
get away from stupid laws involked just for
political gain.  Such is modern life.

I have written a book.  Sorry.

Thanks for the original thread Gene.

Regards,