Re: De-Smog or Re- Smog ?

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: De-Smog or Re- Smog ?
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2004 13:18:58 -0700
on 6/9/04 12:41 PM, Rick Lindsay at rick@stoolhead.com wrote:

> If I have to
> pull my limited use toy cars off the road because
> they may make a tiny fraction of what millions
> of Honda Accords make, I will consider moving.  A
> friend of mine just immigrated to New Zealand to
> get away from stupid laws involked just for
> political gain.  Such is modern life.

Actually, it's more like the other way around -- your one little MG makes as
much pollution as a million Honda Accords. That's a slight exaggeration, but
not much more than that. Several new Hondas qualify as Ultra Low Emission
Vehicles, and I'm not talking about the hybrid. I believe the NOx and HC
emissions of these vehicles are on the order of a millionth of that of a
pre-smog vehicle of similar displacement.*

You can call these laws stupid, but based on the number of cars on the road
today, if these laws had never been implemented, the air quality in
metropolitan Tulsa would probably resemble that of LA in the sixties...
probably causing many people to emigrate to New Zealand.

;-P

Just telling it like it is...

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149

*Obviously I am talking about a mile-for-mile basis, and of course your "toy
cars" are not being driven full-time. And I am not advocating laws
restricting use of older vehicles, or of making them pass current smog
regulations. I am just trying to make you (us) face up to the fact that by
choosing to drive an "obsolete" vehicle, we are part of the problem, not
part of the solution, albeit a very small part.