Re: Starter wire

To: "Eric" <eric@erickson.on.net>, "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Starter wire
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 15:02:42 +0100
The only red/yellow wire I am aware of is in the gearbox harness and that is
for the overdrive, however an oil-stained and aged white will look yellow.

Do you have the earlier inertia starter with remote solenoid or the later
pre-engaged starter?  A 67 model (which could have been registered in 68)
will have the inertia starter and remote solenoid, so no terminals on the
starter other than a stud for the main cable from the wing-mounted solenoid.
The solenoid has a stud for the battery cable and browns (although it is
possible the browns are on spades connected to the battery cable stud),
another stud for the cranking cable down to the starter, and a separate
spade for the white/red operate wire from the ignition switch.

A 68 model had the pre-engaged starter with attached solenoid with the main
stud with or without spades for the battery cable and a couple of browns,
and a separate spade for a white/red wire which is the solenoid operate
terminal from the ignition switch.

PaulH.