Re: SU float bowls flooding

To: ptegler@cablespeed.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: SU float bowls flooding
From: "Paul M." <rowman22001@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 08:56:45 -0700 (PDT)
--- ptegler@cablespeed.com wrote:
> Your float chamber needle valve is stuck
> and the float is not rising to close the valve
> (works just like a toilet shutoff)

Thanks, I'll check it out.  Can I pull that float
chamber apart without removing anything else?  Is
there anything tricky in the procedure?  Anything in
particular that I'll be looking for?

> At $750 you got ripped off royally!
> You can buy brand new HS4's for that price.

Yes, which is why I never want to go back to that
place again.  Believe it or not, I took the car into
the shop because I could not figure out why the car
was running slightly rich.  They are an MG specialty
shop, and I figured they would be able to get to the
bottom of it quickly.  Four days later, when I went in
to pick the car up, they had fully rebuilt both carbs
even though I had not approved that work, and they
presented me with a bill for over $1400.

I'm not joking.  $1400 and change.  I could have
bought a set of HS6's for that price, plus a light
flywheel and a Peco header.

After my heart restarted, I had to spend an hour
fighting with them to release the car.  In retrospect
I should have refused to give them even a penny, but I
was so strung out I finally settled on $750 and just
chalked it up to experience.  But it still pisses me
off to think about it...

=====
Paul Misencik - 1971 MGB - www.sopwithracing.com

THE CAROLINA TROPHY - 2005