Re: clutch bleed wierdness

To: holtt@nacse.org
Subject: Re: clutch bleed wierdness
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 08:56:44 -0400
Hi Tim,
   New cylinder should be OK.  New hose should be OK also.
   That little spring inside the cylinder is not what pushes the slave
cylinder's piston back into position.  It's the force of the clutch
springs that drive the slave back, pushing the fluid back to the MC at
the same time.
    You said that you could move  the clutch arm fine when the slave
cylinder is not attached.  How much movement do you get?  There should be
a little free motion after which the next 1/2 -5/8 inch of motion is very
difficult, as that is when the clutch is being separated and you feel the
resistance of all the clutch springs at work.
    I forget---what was it that lead you to start this work on the
clutch?   As you can see, I'm leading into possible failure of the clutch
assy itself....
Bob

> The piston moves fine manually when the SS is off the car -  I can
> slide  it in and out.  I noticed that the spring inside does NOT make
it
> come back out all the time.  I don't know quite what the spring is
> supposed  to do as it seems pretty weak compared to the friction the
rubber
> ring on the piston has.
>
> I can also move the clutch arm that the SS pushes on fine (when the
> SS is not attached).

Check out the new British Cars Forum: