Re: MGB wheel size please

To: MG List <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: MGB wheel size please
From: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 01:12:08 +1030
"Paul M." wrote:

> --- "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com> wrote:
> > The largest recommended tire size for the
> > 4.5" wide wheel is a 165 mm cross section,
> > which will be pretty tall as low profile
> > versions aren't readily available.
>
> Yes, and that would gear the car up somewhat, making
> it accelerate more slowly...

I did enough ranting at the time but I ran for almost a year on these
dirty great Nissan Z-car 15" rims.  5.5" and shod with equally dirty
great 205/60 tyres.  This setup came straight of a racing Magnette.  It
was sort-of interesting to drive on the track (lovely soft tyres) and
gave me the extra "legs" out of a hairpin that was always mid-range
between 2nd and 3rd gear on the 14" rims (now it became just a high
revving 2nd gear).  But as was mentioned, the "longer legs" were great
on the straights but murder on take-off.

Besides, can you imagine how much all this rim and tyre weighed?  They
were heavy.

I now have the LSD with a ratio that gives me those "longer legs" but
without the weight of the big rims and tyres - and my 195/60 Potenzas on
the 14" rims are just about the ideal combination I have found.

Oh yeah, the extra height of the rims was noticable driving and stepping out.

--
Eric
'68MGB MkII

Check out the new British Cars Forum: