Re: Road Pricing

To: Bill Saidel <saidel@camden.rutgers.edu>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Road Pricing
From: Hans Duinhoven <h.duinhoven@planet.nl>
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 19:34:51 +0200
Road pricing means, that one has to pay for the miles driven, rather than to
have to pay road tax independand of driving any mile @ all.

The most honest variant in this is to raise the fuel tax.
Can be o.k. for the USA, but in our country with lots of border lines, our
people already flee to Germany or Belgium, in order to fill their tanks.
Second option is one is being "seen" at certain busy spots - mostly the
busiest spots on the highway. Every time you pass, you are automatically
charged.
The payment can vary depending of passing this spot during rush hours or
pass during the night...

The last variants on toll roads are to motivate people to start working at
more flexible hours, in order to spread the peak traffic. IMO this is just a
temp fix.
Next plans are to reduce the max speed on the ring roads of the major
cities, in order to lower the high pollution and noise. Especially the high
rate of fine dust created by diesel cars is blamed for this. So I would opt
to lower the LPG fuel and raise the diesel price.
This topic can go on forever.....

Cheers,

Hans