Re: Road Pricing

To: "Bill Saidel" <saidel@camden.rutgers.edu>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Road Pricing
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 13:58:09 +0100
Road pricing is variable charging based on the particular road and time of
day it is used.  Original thoughts were that every car would be fitted with
a black box with GPS capability which would enable a charge to be made for
every road all times of day, from 3p per mile for a country lane in the
middle of the night up to 2 quid or so for a motorway in peak periods.

Now the word is that is too complex and expensive to install and administer,
so another option is tolls on specific roads, with gizmos fitted to gantries
over certain roads and transponder cards in the cars.  This is already quite
common, technology-wise.

The whole concept is deeply flawed, how many people choose to travel at peak
times in heavy congestion when they don't have to and how many because they
have to because their employer has told them to be at a certain place at a
certain time, 40% of whom are employed by the government or other public
service bodies?