Re: MG Buildings

To: mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: MG Buildings
From: yd3@nvc.net
Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 21:45:59 -0500
My, how quickly the shakers and movers in the early USA MG days have
faded away.

Gerry Gogen was the creator and owner of Abindon Spares and also started
the MG museum in Walpole, NH. He WAS a GENTLEMAN in every respect. How
many of you kney that he was a trumpet player in the Boston Pops
Orchestra under the direction of the great Arthur Fiedler?

As Gerry toured the US with the Boston Pops back in the 60's, and 70's,
he would check every town they were in for an MG dealer. He'd ask for
old stock, make a deal for what they had, and had it shipped back to NH.
So, back in the 60's and early 70's when you ordered from Abingdon, you
most likely got NOS. I remember visiting back about 1973 and getting a
"tour" of the warehouse. Then it was down in a basement of some sort I
recall.  AT least you had to go down a bunch of stairs to it. He had
half dozen or so used TC frames, sheet metal etc. all stacked up. Also
sitting there was what I think was a J4 that he was restoring. It even
showed the damage done during it's last race when it lost a wheel.

Those were the days my friends,

Regards,
Blake