Re: [Mgs] Overdrive oil

To: ccrobins@ktc.com
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Overdrive oil
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 08:23:30 -0400
  Why would anyone use 90W gear lube....?

  MG at one time issued a Tech Service Bulletin that said 90w could be
used.  About a month later that TSB was rescinded, but that bad
information was picked up and used in some service manuals published by
others.  I have an old Haynes that shows 90 as an approved lubricant. It
came with an OD-equipped MGB when I bought the car.  I changed all fluids
as soon as I got the car, including changing to 90 from whatever nasty
sludge was in the OD at the time, and it worked fine until air temp
dropped below about 60degrees F.
   Sad to say, that erronious information is still out there in some old
books.
Bob

snip