Re: [Mgs] Flushing the cooling system?

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Flushing the cooling system?
From: Matt Trebelhorn <matt.lists@trebelhorn.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 19:32:30 -0400
I think it would be incredibly difficult to get an MGB in good
condition to boil over.

I've driven my car in 110F temps with an 8lb radiator cap, I've sat
in traffic for an hour at 105F.

Back in the summer of 1998, one of the clubs had a track day at
Summit Point, in West Va.  My father and I shared my MG for the day.
The starter jammed that morning, and nothing we could do in the pits
could un-jam it -- so the car was push-started once in the morning,
and once after lunch; the rest of the day was alternating sessions of
hot laps and autocross (with waiting-in-line time for the autocross,
as well).  It was over 90F that day, and we hammered the car for
hours.  At the end of the day, I drove it 300 miles home.  It didn't
boil over.

That said, in all this thrashing around, the temps did rise.  It
comes off the thermostat-defined temperature (180F) at about 80F
ambient temperature, and I've been thinking about ways to keep it
cooler.  But boiling over?  Not yet.

Matt