Re: [Mgs] wanted - now DSG 7 speed

To: "Hans Duinhoven" <h.duinhoven@planet.nl>, "Dan DiBiase"
Subject: Re: [Mgs] wanted - now DSG 7 speed
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 08:53:52 -0000
Are you sure about that?  In the UK coasting out of gear is a test failure,
and may be illegal (it was certainly cause for disqualification in the MPG
trials of years ago).  From what I've read just taking the foot off coasts
in gear, and that causes the fuel supply to shut off altogether (like most
if not all computer-controlled injection systems) but coasting in neutral
(which is selectable on any car of course) causes the engine to use fuel at
the idling rate.  If you have an mpg (kpl?) meter you should be able to
see this, or maybe you can see it on the gear selector display?  Many
(including Jeremy Clarkson) claim that it's more economical to coast in gear
because of this, but as the momentum of the car is being used up in
uselessly spinning the engine, i.e. slowing you down faster, I doubt that,
just try pushing you car on the flat in neutral and then in top gear!

PaulH.