Re: [Mgs] wanted - now DSG 7 speed

To: paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk
Subject: Re: [Mgs] wanted - now DSG 7 speed
From: MGBOB <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 09:49:23 -0500
  Coasting out of gear was not permitted when, years back, I was reading
for my driving permit.
  One wonders, though, how the two-stroke SAABs that were popular in
Connecticut at the time were allowed, as they needed their free-wheel
device so engines would be adequately lubricated when coasting down.
Bob

On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 08:53:52 -0000 "Paul Hunt"
<paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk> writes:
> Are you sure about that?  In the UK coasting out of gear is a test
> failure,
> and may be illegal (it was certainly cause for disqualification in
> the MPG
> trials of years ago).  From what I've read just taking the foot off
> coasts
> in gear, and that causes the fuel supply to shut off altogether
> (like most
> if not all computer-controlled injection systems) but coasting in
> neutral
> (which is selectable on any car of course) causes the engine to use
> fuel at
> the idling rate.  If you have an mpg (kpl?) meter you should be able
> see this, or maybe you can see it on the gear selector display?
> Many
> (including Jeremy Clarkson) claim that it's more economical to coast
> in gear
> because of this, but as the momentum of the car is being used up in
> uselessly spinning the engine, i.e. slowing you down faster, I doubt
> that,
> just try pushing you car on the flat in neutral and then in top
> gear!
>
> PaulH.

Small Business Tools
Compete with the big boys.  Click here to find products to benefit your
business.
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/c?cp=w2cF7sTOleOb6PTEl0lHQwAAJ1CFcZuYg3ZrSi-zVv-uUL-FAAYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARMQAAAAA=