Re: [Mgs] MG pickup

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Mgs] MG pickup
From: Barrie Robinson via Mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2019 15:19:47 -0400

--------------FE38FCAB0732416517821EAD

Hello folks,

If you really want boring how about the current offerings of car
radios.  I put a one into my MGB GT V8 and got a Pioneer because it had
a remote USB at the end of a cable so I can put the flash drive in my
glove box.  I only listen to 91.5FM and 99.1 FM because they have NO
adverts (CBC).  When I drove out with my newly installed radio I found
to my horror that because these stations had a weak signal /I could not
get them! /But when I got back to the car radio install company they
could not understand my problem pointing out that I now had Spotify,
Pandora, Sirius, Bluetooth, ability to use my cell phone into the radio
(WHY???), have different colours for the display, etc, etc,etc.  There
was only ONE page in the 33 page manual devoted to radio !!!!!!!    So
my MGB is now a mobile communication centre with a *iss poor radio.
But to end this all, I bought a cheap portable for my garage (listen to
non commercial stations of course) and for fun tried it in my MGB - it
worked perfectly !!!!!!

On 8/11/2019 10:52 AM, Charley Robinson via Mgs wrote:
> My daily driver during the last few years of my working life was a
> 1970 MGB.  I don't recall it ever getting ho-hum to drive. Shouldn't
> have sold it.......
>
> CR
>
> On 8/11/2019 9:32 AM, Rick via Mgs wrote:
>> Paul, my wife drives a livingroom (lounge) with a steering wheel. My
>> daily is a 16-year-old Land Rover Discovery with 153k miles on the clock.
>>
>> On Aug 11, 2019 9:09 AM, PaulHunt73 <paulhunt73@virginmedia.com> wrote:
>>

>>     With you there.  One of the things I hate about modern cars is
>>     that they are so 'competent' aka boring.  Our daughter had a new
>>     MINI and if it hadn't been for the scenery going past the window
>>     I wouldn't have known we were moving.  I blame the manufacturers
>>     for reducing the driving experience to that of sitting on a sofa
>>     watching TV, and of drivers paying the same amount of attention
>>     to their driving.  Time and time again car shows where they have
>>     any number of modern exotics the presenters occasionally get into
>>     a classic and rave about the experience.  One of the things
>>     that surprised me with the ZS180 on a test-drive at launch in
>>     2001 was just how involving it was.  It'll have to go one day,
>>     and I'll be sorry when that happens.

  <head>
  </head>
        If you really want boring how about the current offerings of car
        radios.  I put a one into my MGB GT V8 and got a Pioneer because
        it had a remote USB at the end of a cable so I can put the flash
        drive in my glove box.  I only listen to 91.5FM and 99.1 FM
        because they have NO adverts (CBC).  When I drove out with my
        newly installed radio I found to my horror that because these
        stations had a weak signal <i>I could not get them!  </i>But
        when I got back to the car radio install company they could not
        understand my problem pointing out that I now had Spotify,
        Pandora, Sirius, Bluetooth, ability to use my cell phone into
        the radio (WHY???), have different colours for the display,
        etc, etc,etc.  There was only ONE page in the 33 page manual
        devoted to radio !!!!!!!    So my MGB is now a mobile
        communication centre with a *iss poor radio.   But to end this
        all, I bought a cheap portable for my garage (listen to non
        commercial stations of course) and for fun tried it in my MGB -
        it worked perfectly !!!!!!<br>
      via Mgs wrote:<br>
      cite="mid:dc66528e-f809-26b1-f9f6-8a94027bff31@twc.com">
      My daily driver during the last few years of my working life was a
      1970 MGB.  I don't recall it ever getting ho-hum to drive.
      Shouldn't have sold it.......<br>
      CR<br>
        wrote:<br>
        cite="mid:751ae8c5-82e2-495d-93ea-a2634f931b54@email.android.com">
          charset=UTF-8">
          a steering wheel. My daily is a 16-year-old Land Rover
          Discovery with 153k miles on the clock.</div>
              class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E"
              href="mailto:paulhunt73@virginmedia.com";
              moz-do-not-send="true">&lt;paulhunt73@virginmedia.com&gt;</a>
            wrote:<br type="attribution">
              .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
                    hate about modern cars is that they are so
                    'competent' aka boring.  Our daughter had a new MINI
                    and if it hadn't been for the scenery going past the
                    window I wouldn't have known we were moving.  I
                    blame the manufacturers for reducing the driving
                    experience to that of sitting on a sofa watching TV,
                    and of drivers paying the same amount of attention
                    to their driving.  Time and time again car shows
                    where they have any number of modern exotics the
                    presenters occasionally get into a classic and rave
                    about the experience.  One of the things
                    that surprised me with the ZS180 on a test-drive at
                    launch in 2001 was just how involving it was.  It'll
                    have to go one day, and I'll be sorry when that
                    happens.</font></div>
solid;padding-left:5px;padding-right:0px;margin-left:5px;margin-right:0px"
                  dir="ltr">
                    ----- </div>
                    you (didn't) ask, would I own cars like that?
                    Because they're quirky and fun. So further to the
                    point; Valuable by its very nature is a subjective
                    term. Its dynamic, and I love dynamic systems.</div>
        <pre class="moz-quote-pre"
wrap="">_______________________________________________

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:Mgs@autox.team.net";
moz-do-not-send="true">Mgs@autox.team.net</a>

href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs";
moz-do-not-send="true">http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs</a> <a
class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://autox.team.net/archive";
moz-do-not-send="true">http://autox.team.net/archive</a>

Unsubscribe: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/charley38@twc.com";
moz-do-not-send="true">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/charley38@twc.com</a>
</pre>
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre"
wrap="">_______________________________________________

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:Mgs@autox.team.net";>Mgs@autox.team.net</a>

href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs";>http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs</a>
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://autox.team.net/archive";>http://autox.team.net/archive</a>

Unsubscribe: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/barrob@bell.net";>http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/mgs/barrob@bell.net</a>
</pre>

--------------FE38FCAB0732416517821EAD--

--===============2753596429047327012==