newsletters

Re: DTP Software

To: Kdoc111@aol.com, newsletters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: DTP Software
From: Harald Freise <hfreise@fox.nstn.ca>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 1996 16:25:48 -0400 (AST)
At 11:57 AM 15/02/96 -0500, Kdoc111@aol.com wrote:
>Just wondering, what software do other editors use?  I've seen some done on
>pagemaker very well, though I'm having good luck with word 6.

        I use whatever comes in handy at the time. Having said that, most of
my newsletters are done using Ventura v.5.0. I find Ventura the easiest to
use as it was the first desktop publishing application that I learned at
version 1.0. Great for doing long books but rather overkill for brief
newsletters. Still, it gives me complete control of the appearance as well
as positioning of graphics and picture elements. Pagemaker is right up there
as well. Our Lotus newsletter started off being done in Word and was quite
adequate for the readership but like anything else...  :)

>does anyone use a scanner for photos?  my printer scans all of my photos &
>snapshots into his copier with good results, but black and white only because
>of cost.

        I scan all my photos using a 14" flatbed scanner (Microtek), capable
of 600dpi optical resolution, then manipulated using Photoshop v.3.015.
Depending on what the final output requirement is; I either insert low
resolution positioning pictures directly (and have the printer insert his
high resolution scans) or have the B&W files printed as is.

>perhaps we could establish a forum to exchange tech tips.

        Not a bad idea, but, isn't this it?

        Harald Freise, editor and chief cook-and-bottle-washer of
        The Lotus Times,
        Eastern Canada Lotus Club