newsletters

Re: DTP Software

To: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Subject: Re: DTP Software
From: Phil Ethier <ethier@freenet.msp.mn.us>
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 1996 14:49:22 -0600 (CST)
On Thursday, 15 Feb 1996, Andrew Mace wrote:

> Well, I'll show my age here, confessing that over the past 20 years with
> various clubs I've gone from manual typewriters and mimeo or ditto stencils,
> to electronic mimeo stencil cutters, past a brief sojourn with a tabletop
> offset printer (paper plates made free thanks to an acquaintance) and into
> various forms of WordPerfect for camera-ready copied at the local copy
> center.

This may be heresy on a computer-based list about newsletters.  I don't
do anything fancy at all.  I expect my newsletter to judged strictly on
the use of the English language.  I don't do any fancy layout.  I do my
word processing in MacWrite Pro and my event results in Excel.  No
tricks, no graphics.  To subvert the Marshall McLuhan quote "The message is
the message".  If you want a massage from the medium, go someplace else.

Phil Ethier
THE RIGHT LINE