newsletters

Re: DTP Software

To: newsletters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: DTP Software
From: KGROWLER@aol.com
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 1996 21:40:19 -0500
Hi All,

The Chicagoland MG Club Driveline is assembled on a Mac in QuarkXpress. The
final document is made into a postscript file which we take to a Kinkos. They
download the file to a Xerox Docutech printer which prints out  and then they
fold and staple them into the final 5.5 x 8.5 booklet. I still have to staple
them closed but this gives us a way to put in flyers and last minute updates.
I use Microsoft word for some word processing and import it into Quark but a
lot of text just gets typed straight into Quark. A number of members submit
articles in various PC formats but I can import the text into Quark, clean
out the headers, format, and go.
Our photos and artwork get scanned in at work on a Microtek flatbed or a
Polaroid Sprintscan for slides and negs. I then optimize them in Photoshop.
The Docutech has been very consistent. We don't have the variation from month
to month that we used to get when we gave our previous printer a printout
which he hand stripped into printers spreads and then reshot to make offset
plates (old terminology - I don't know what the current term for plates or
PMTs is) and printed offset. One month would be dark and the next way light.
The Docutech is much cleaner.
The cost for printing an 8 page (4  - 8.5x11 sheets) is $230.00 for 350
copies. At 4 sheets with a heavy stock cover we still make 32c postage even
with a flyer inserted.

Kim Tonry  - Editor CMGC Driveline