newsletters

DTP software

To: newsletter list <newsletters@autox.team.net>
Subject: DTP software
From: Joe Camilleri <75451.3211@compuserve.com>
Date: 16 Feb 96 00:56:51 EST
I use this stuff as a freelance art director, it's probably overkill for most
newsletter needs.

Our newsletter is together on a Mac in QuarkXPress, output to film at a service
bureau then the film goes to the printer who makes plates, prints, folds and
staples it.

I have a Umax 1260 scanner with a transparency adapter that I use to scan into
Photoshop. This is handy because a lot of pictures are of snapshot quality and
need to be fixed up a bit, (also I've been known to move a few cars closer
together to make a more interesting picture).

The scanner is also useful with optical character recognition software (OCR),
this lets you convert a printed page into a text file and saves a lot of typing.
Some of our copy comes in the form of e mail which is great because you can just
download it and use it as text. Recently I have also downloaded photos that a
photographer with a scanner sent me.

Profesional publishing software like Quark or Pagemaker give you complete
control of type and images, making it easier to put out a great looking
newsletter.That in turn, makes it easier to sell ads and to get photographers to
contribute.

Joe Camilleri
GT5 Newsletter