RE: Automotive cooling

To: "'Trevor Boicey'" <tboicey@brit.ca>
Subject: RE: Automotive cooling
From: Bob Hutton <BobHutton@fox.vut.edu.au>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 1997 09:25:38 +-1000
Trevor,

I think you're missing my point a little. You ask where the heat is =
going if its not going into the radiator. In existing systems, cold =
water from the radiator is going into a relatively cold block. (It's =
cold because of the continuous influx into the cylinders of cold =
fuel/air mix) The cold radiator water doesn't pick up heat until it gets =
into the head and that heat is then discarded through the radiator.

With  the new system, you're using the cooling effect which is always =
there in the cylinders to take the heat out of the water from the head. =
The radiator DOES stay cold in normal driving. It's only during idling =
or peak hour traffic that the thermostat opens to put any heat into the =
radiator. Even after a sustained 70mph drive in my Triumph, if you stop =
and open the hood, the engine bay is cool with virtually no heat other =
than from the exhaust manifold, the rocker cover and the top radiator =
header (through conduction?) being evident. The twin SU carbies are =
stone cold and I still haven't figured out whether that's good or not. =
All other engine bay items are also cool.     =20