Re: Automotive cooling

To: Shop Talk <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Automotive cooling
From: "Douglas E. Shook" <dshook@usc.edu>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 1997 22:03:45 -0400
Bob,

I'm not a mechanical engineer, but hopefully am no dummy either, and
have been building English car and bike engines for 22 years (some for
racing).

I would need to actually put thermometers in a few places and do some
testing, but I think what you are advocating could make sense.

Clearly the head is the hottest part (and a relatively small part as far
as heat dissipation area compared to the block).  Also our cast iron
British engines are not dissipating heat evenly.  An inline 6 (like the
TR6) block has considerable surface area to use.

I do have to question your premise regarding the cooling effect of the
incoming mixture (it gets pretty well cooked once you put it to a 9 to 1
compression and then explode it). It also should have the greatest
effect on the pistons and head (two of the hottest pieces in the
engine).

I finish off my summer sessions this week, and then go on jury duty
(yes, I know), but hopefully will report back with some thermometer
readings that may support your proposal.

Regardless, I have found your proposal very interesting (enough so to
put off some work I should be doing to satisfy my curiosity regarding
your modification).  I'm also the guy who spent most of my free time for
a week trying to develop a "radiator" for my air compressor, so I guess
it could undercut the credibility of my opinions. I guess I have a
problem with machines and "heat."

Thank you for your contribution.

doug shook

Douglas E. Shook