Re: Automotive cooling

To: Bob Hutton <BobHutton@fox.vut.edu.au>
Subject: Re: Automotive cooling
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 1997 23:00:24 -0400
Bob Hutton wrote:
> I think you're missing my point a little. You ask where the
> heat is going if its not going into the radiator. In existing
> systems, cold water from the radiator is going into a
> relatively cold block.

  Well, relatively is definately a key word. I've burned
my fingers on that "cold" block. Even the oil in the sump
is scalding hot, as we all probably learned the hard way.

> The cold radiator water
> doesn't pick up heat until it gets into the head and that
> heat is then discarded through the radiator.

  Well, look at it this way. How can moving the thermostat
cure overheating? During an overheating situation, the
thermostat is wide open wherever it is.

  Secondly, how can moving the thermostat make your
car "not need the radiator"? If the engine is generating
heat and needs cooling, how can moving the thermostat
make that cooling no longer required?

  That is what I mean "where does the heat go"? The same
amount of heat is being generated. On my car, the rad
is hot and helping to dissipate the heat. If I lose
the ability to dissipate heat there, where is the
heat going?

  Automotive design engineers have a lot more know-how
and oodles of money to test these "ideas". It's really
somewhat absurd to think that something simple like this
could magically escape the discovery of thousands
of automotive design engineers working for a dozen
giant companies for 50 years.

--
Trevor Boicey
Ottawa, Canada