RE: Automotive cooling

To: "'Trevor Boicey'" <tboicey@brit.ca>
Subject: RE: Automotive cooling
From: Bob Hutton <BobHutton@fox.vut.edu.au>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 1997 16:47:50 +-1000
Trevor,

The business end (the Waxstat or whatever) gets the direct flow of hot =
water from the bypass. There is a temperature drop by the time it gets =
to the new thermostat position because of loss to atmosphere (due to the =
fan). Also in the new position, it is getting heat only from the water, =
not from conduction through the engine metal. My experience is that =
there is about 5-10 degrees C difference, so if your thermostat is 82 =
degrees C, the exit temperature from the head may be at 92 to open the =
thermostat. That's no problem, is it?

Remember that the whole point of this is not because of a problem, but =
to minimise energy loss from petrol already burnt and to use this energy =
to even out the engine temperature and make it more efficient. It also =
cures overheating  since the radiator is not normally used. Seems =
logical to me, but I must admit that when I first heard about this it =
was a couple of days before I could really see the wisdom of it.

One problem I have had is that it takes too long for the engine to get =
to temperature and I've now put an 88 degree C thermostat back in the =
top housing for warm up and have an 82 degree C in the bottom. Seems to =
work.

I think you need this top thermostat anyway because without it, the =
faster you drive the cooler it gets.