Re: Compressor sound

To: Mike Sloane <msloane@att.net>
Subject: Re: Compressor sound
From: Andy Poling <andy@globalauctions.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 13:02:11 -0500 (EST)
On Wed, 17 Mar 1999, Mike Sloane wrote:
> When I was in the conference room building business, for sound
> absorbtion/cancelling we used have foam rubber panels whose surface was made
>up
> of rows of alternating cones and depressions. It looked very much like the
>kind
> of foam rubber that is used to ship circuit boards (hard to describe - lots of
> bumps and dimples that broke up the sound waves).

Yes - it can be very effective.  It works by trapping short sound waves
(mostly high frequencies) and absorbing them.

Just remember that this stuff works by essentially converting sound energy
into heat... and can also act as thermal insulation to keep that heat in the
enclosed space as well.

I've seen an enclosed computer room get warmer by over 5 degrees F after
they hung sheets of this anechoic foam on the walls.

-Andy

72 Pantera - Rocky             91 Miata - Steve                 96 A4Q - Rudolf
80 928 - Phantom               97 Miata - Nadia                84 RZ350 - Sting