Re: Compressor sound

To: shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Compressor sound
From: Kelley Mascher <mascher@u.washington.edu>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 11:21:29 -0800 (PST)

It has been discussed a bit.

In your design you no longer have the studs connecting
the two sides of the wall. You do have the top and
bottom plates connecting the two walls.

In some situations this will be worse than an normal
single stud wall. What you have created here is a
large resonant chamber with relatively low density
diaphrams on each side.

The two walls in a staggered stud design should have
separate top and bottom plates. Rafters for the ceiling
should not span the two top plates. Ideally the two
bottom plates should sit on seperate and isolated concrete
pads.

In truth you will get some extra sound attenuation from
the 2x6 common plate design you suggested. But it probably
won't be much more than adding an extra layer of 5/8"
firerock to a standard 2x4 wall.

Cheers,

Kelley Mascher                                            (206) 528-2713
Children's Hospital & Med. Center               mascher@u.washington.edu
Audiology Research                              Seattle, Washington USA