Re: Compressor sound

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Compressor sound
From: "Tw Cook" <tw@texas.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 12:17:13 -0600
There's a company called MarkerTek (http://www.markertek.com) which sells AV
stuff including a wide variety of sound absorbing material. They carry
official Sonex brand foam, which is the premium stuff, and which is pretty
expensive, but they also carry their house brand called "Markerfoam" which
I've used in the past (to quiet noisy fans in servers placed in offices)
with good effect. Markerfoam isn't too expensive, the 3" thick stuff is
about $30 for a 54"x54" sheet. If you search for "foam" on their online
catalog you'll find both Sonex and Markerfoam as well as a few other
alternatives. They also carry lead foam under the brand name "Acoustilead",
here is the description:

"Why Acoustilead works best. First, Acoustilead is limp and dense which any
good sound barrier must be. Secondly, it is thinner than any other acoustic
material in the same sound transmission class. There's a big difference in
the ways in which sound or unwanted noise can be controlled. Porous
materials absorb sound, but allow it to pass through at only slightly
reduced intensity. Dense, limp Acoustilead, on the other hand, blocks the
sound (prevents it's passage) and surpasses any other material as the ideal
sound barrier. Acoustilead is easy to work with. You can fold it, form it,
and crimp it around pipes, wires and ducts. By hand. You can cut it with a
knife or shears. Staple or nail it to other surfaces. You can readily join
it with adhesives and tape. Acoustilead is as easy to install as it is
effective. What's more, installation costs are much lower with conventional,
stiff materials."

Tw