Re: Compressor sound

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Compressor sound
From: Joe Flake <flake@a3115jmf.atl.hp.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 12:26:38 -0500 (EST)

> My neighbour is a sound abatement engineer.  He tells me that each layer
> of 1/2 " sheet rock abates the sound by 3db (cuts it in half).  So if one

I haven't seen it mentioned here, but I understand that a big trick to
doing a sound proof/reduced wall is to use offset studs.

Use a 2x6 for the top and bottom pieces, then offset every other
2x4 stud to the opposite surface.  That way you don't have the
2x4s conducting sound from inner to outer walls.

In ascii art (looking from the top)

|   |   |   |   |      inner 2x4s
  |   |   |   |   |    outer 2x4s

Stuff it with fiberglass if you like, but I don't think it does
much good for sound (not dense enough).

Joe
flake@a3115jmf.atl.hp.com