Re: Craftsman Wrenches

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Craftsman Wrenches
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 07:40:23 -0700
I quit buying electric tools from Sears a long time ago, as they seem to
be way overpriced, and frequently poor designs.  At least at HF, I
_know_ I'm buying junk (and paying a fair price for it).

However, I can attest that Sear's return policy varies widely from store
to store, and even from salesperson to salesperson.  I once got the
royal runaround when trying to return a cracked socket (which I actually
broke without abusing it <g>), but two months later, at the same store,
they replaced a breaker bar that was obviously abused (BFH marks on the
head, pipe marks on the handle) with no questions or hassle whatsoever.
I just walked up to a salesman, showed him the remains, and he handed me
a new one, said "There you go".
It was a long time ago, but my father once got a sparkplug socket
replaced that had been crushed under a loaded semi !  He poured the
crumbs out on the counter, and the clerk handed him a new socket
_before_ asking "How the h*** did you do that ?"

IMO the gradual thickening of Craftsman hand tools over the years is not
so much due to cheaper steel, but rather their policy of replacing even
abused tools.  When the return rate on a particular design becomes too
high, they beef it up.

I don't make a habit of abusing my tools, but when I do, I reach for a
Craftsman.  "Necessity is a mother" <g>

BTW, if the clerk observes "This tool has been abused", the correct
response is "So ?".  The Craftsman guarantee does not exclude abuse,
unless it's been changed in the last few years (and it can't legally be
changed retroactively).  This is not true of Snap-on, MAC, etc.

Randall