Re: telephone in the shop?

To: rwelty@suespammers.org (Richard Welty)
Subject: Re: telephone in the shop?
From: bob bownes <bownes@rns1.web9.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 21:14:12 -0500 (EST)
I'm going multi-media. There is a bunch of cat5 strung aroung the house
to get to the easy spots (basment where servers live to 2nd floor office,
kitchen, LR), going to put cat5 in the conduit to the garage (because it's
there) and 802.11 wireless everywhere else.

The wireless does have a high 'cool' factor, but it is slow. I'm
upgrading everything else to 100bT, but the wireless stuff is seriously
lagging behind.

The nice thing about wireless is that there are no cables to run. I plugged
an old 100Mhz 486 laptop into the ethernet hub in the basement, dropped a
wireless PCMCIA car in it, loaded Linux, and poof, wireless network.

In practice, I don't actually use it much since the important spots in
the house where I want to connect are wired. But which is cause and which
is effect is open to debate.

iii