Cutting paver blocks

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Cutting paver blocks
From: datesmanaric@netscape.net
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2001 09:07:01 -0400
Greetings all.  Been lurking on this list a while and finally have a question.
I'm putting on a patio using 8" x 16" x 2" paver blocks and need to cut some of
the blocks.  What's the best way to do this?  The local rental shop doesn't
have one of those block cutting presses and my attempts at hammer and chisel
have yielded little other than a big pile of rubble (using a 4 lb hammer and
either a 3/4" or 3" chisel).

Looking online I saw suggestions for using a masonry blade in a circular saw.
Is this the best route?  If so, do I cut completely through the block or only
score it on one side (or both) and whack it with the hammer?  Cut wet or dry?

Thanks for the help.

-Aric Datesman.