Re: Best way to remove broken bolts

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Best way to remove broken bolts
From: Mike Sloane <msloane@att.net>
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2003 14:55:08 -0500
One way that is relatively simple is to buy a left hand drill bit that
is about half the size of the hole, center punch the old bolts, and
drill away. It is important that you keep the bit centered, as you don't
want to drill into the threads. In the case of oil pan bolts, the
remains of the studs will probably walk right out long before you get to
the bottom of the bolt. Even if they all don't come out, you can insert
an "easy out" into the hole and remove the part. This all assumes that
you have a reversible drill, of course...

For the ones that had the wood screws, you might want go a little
deeper, if you have enough material, with a proper size bit, create some
threads in the new hole using a plug tap, and find longer bolts for
those holes. But you need to make sure you have sufficient depth
available. The only other choices are epoxy (like JB Weld),
brazing/welding some new material, or drilling a larger diameter hole
and going one size up on the bolts. You will have to evaluate your block
to see which would work the best. (I would start with the easiest - JB
Weld - and then try progressively more difficult/expensive options if
that fails.)

Mike

Mike Rambour wrote:
>   Excuse me for posting on the shop talk list about pre-war cars but it is
> related to shop work.
>
>    I need a good way to remove 6 broken bolts/studs in a 34 Singer
> motor.   I removed the oil pan on my car and found that it was only held in
> by 2 wood screws and 4 bolts as the other 6 bolts were broken in the
> block.  I assume they were studs.  4 of them are broken almost flush with
> the block, one is going to easier since it is broken slightly inside the
> hole and the other is sticking out about 1/4" but I am not able to move it
> with vice-grips.
>
>    I bought the car 2 years ago and finally am trying to get it on the road
> but I am unwilling to reassemble the oil pan with only 4 bolts.  The motor
> is still in place and I can't flip it upside down on a drill press, I don't
> want to remove the motor and need to be careful of shavings although
> gravity should take of that for me.  I need to drill these out but I never
> seem to be able to get the drills centered when drilling by hand and end up
> doing damage to the surrounding area, that will force me to put in
> helicoils but I am not sure I have the space since this is on the oil pan
> lip of the motor and only about 1/2 wide, it also looks like a pretty weak
> area.  So drilling out is the only answer I can think of, I have purchased
> some left-hand drills since I have had good luck with those in the past at
> working out broken studs as they grab/drill into them but there are small
> 3/16" bolts, how do I center them ?
>
>   The 2 holes where the wood screws were are another issue but I will
> tackle that one later as bolts still grab some threads and while I can't
> tighten them will hold a little.
>
>    I am open to any ideas, short of removing the motor and doing it on a
> press, if I go that far I will take the motor apart and rebuild it, that
> will means months maybe a year before I get the car on the road.
>
>       mike

Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ
Email:(msloane@att.net)
Website: <http://www.geocities.com/mikesloane>
Tractor images: <www.fotki.com/mikesloane>
Work: <www.smithtractorandequimpment.com>

"Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a
    day in your life."
   --Confucius