Re: Best way to remove broken bolts

To: Mike Sloane <msloane@att.net>
Subject: Re: Best way to remove broken bolts
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2003 02:06:42 -0500
Mike Sloane wrote:
> Even if they all don't come out, you can insert
> an "easy out" into the hole and remove the part.

    Easy-outs to me are pretty much the devil. I can't think of the last
time they actually worked for me, if ever.

    The main problem with them is that they snap, and when they snap,
you are sunk. You can't drill an easy-out, you can't really weld to an
easy-out, you are screwed.

    At this point in my "career", I don't think I would use them for
anything except as an absolute last-resort, right before I threw the
part in the trash.

    For something like a block, I don't think I would attempt it,
because if it breaks, that's the end.

    You can have an EZ-out removed via EDM at a specialty shop, but you
would certainly have to bring the block to the machine shop to have it
done. (Electron Discharge Machining, basically they erode the piece with
a tip similar to arc welding)

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca