Re: Best way to remove broken bolts

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Best way to remove broken bolts
From: David Scheidt <dmschei@attglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2003 17:06:00 -0500
>   Excuse me for posting on the shop talk list about pre-war cars but it is
>related to shop work.
>
>    I need a good way to remove 6 broken bolts/studs in a 34 Singer
>motor.   I removed the oil pan on my car and found that it was only held in
>by 2 wood screws and 4 bolts as the other 6 bolts were broken in the
>block.  I assume they were studs.  4 of them are broken almost flush with
>the block, one is going to easier since it is broken slightly inside the
>hole and the other is sticking out about 1/4" but I am not able to move it
>with vice-grips.

A method I've had good luck with is to weld a nut to the bit of the
bolt or stud that sticks out from the surface.  The nut gives you a
way to put a wrench on it, and the heat of the welding will destroy
any loctite or such like; it also causes the bolt to expand, which
can loosen a rust bond.  If the stud is flush with the surface or
below it, it's possible to build it up enough (carefully! don't weld
it to the side!) that you can weld a nut on it.