Re: Best way to remove broken bolts

To: Tim.Mullen@trw.com
Subject: Re: Best way to remove broken bolts
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 17:34:17 -0500
Tim.Mullen@trw.com wrote:
> In my experience, EZ-Outs tend to break with the slightest bit of
> excess force (I can't even imagine using an impact on them)

   The impact though, by it's action, often breaks fewer things than a
hand tool would.

   The hand tool will allow you to apply force in a way that you reach
the elastic limit of the piece, exceed it, and then shear it off.

   Though the impact applies a good amount of force, it does so in tiny
blasts and then the part is loose again to spring back to the unstressed
position.

   Rather than turning the bolt head 30 degrees and snapping it, it
turns it 5 degrees, releases, 5 degrees, releases, over and over again,
until it lets go or you give up.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca