Re: New toy - IR 2135Ti and a couple questions.

To: "Galt, Stuart A" <stuart.a.galt@boeing.com>
Subject: Re: New toy - IR 2135Ti and a couple questions.
From: Scott Hall <sch8489@garnet.acns.fsu.edu>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 12:54:33 -0400 (EDT)
On Mon, 21 Apr 2003, Galt, Stuart A wrote:

> I decided to de-lurk and let people know about my initial impressions of
> my new impact wrench.  It seems that "the" one to buy is the IR 2131 and
> I almost bought one... But while looking for the best price I ran across
> a new model and decided to give it a try.
>
> http://www.irtools.com/2135Ti/2135Ti/template.htm

ooooooohhhhhhhhh.  I have the 2131 and have been pleased.  the 2135 seems
to be badder than that.  mine is rated for "only" (that's kinda hard to
say here) 600 ft. lbs.  you could probably flip your house over if you
knew where to put the nut...

> Question 1:
> I am looking for a "good" brand of ratchet handles?

facom.  none better.  http://www.mytoolstore.com.  call the (800) number
and they'll set you up.  good prices and service.  no financial interest,
etc., etc.  the mac xr (if memory serves) are also good, but you've got
the same truck-guy problem and it's more(!) expensive than snap-on.  if
you like the look of the s-k stuff on the toolstore web site, the
high-tooth (70, iirc) s-k ratchets have the same guts as the facom
ratchets, just different handles.

> I found that my
> toolbox is oriented toward smaller cars (and I have a F350 now...)

I had that same problem when I went from bikes to cars/trucks.

> suggestions for good high torque 3/8 and 1/2 ratchets (and source of
> sockets).

facom/s-k sockets are also sweet.  I'd say snap-on's as good, though.  but
the s-k stuff is a lot cheaper.  I've got snap-on and facom sockets.  I'd
say they're about equal.  s-k has more sizes available here, just because
facom u.s.a. is trying to push the s-k brand over facom.

> am also looking for a low range torque wrench (5-60 ft/lbs?)

again, facom/s-k.  but I don't have as much comparative experience with
these, so I have no idea how good it is compared to other stuff.  I *do*
know that I haven't been overly impressed with my 1/2" snap-on torque
wrench.  not horrible, but not worth the money either, compared to the s-k
or even craftsman.

my $.02.

scott