Voice Over IP Phone Services

To: "Shop Talk" <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Voice Over IP Phone Services
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kradicke@wishboneclassics.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 19:26:09 -0500
Not quite a shop-talk topic, but this seemed like the best place to ask
without anyone screaming "VoIP?  ... does not sound like it is something I
want in my MG!"

Does anyone have experience with VoIP providers or are using a VoIP service
right now for their home or business phones?

I have gotten quite a bit of direct mail from both Vonage ( www.vonage.com )
and AT&T, which seems to be reselling Vonage services, about switching to
their plans.

The deals do seem really nice, $50 a month for two lines seems like a good
deal, especially with all of the features they include and the free
equipment to convert to their setup.  My internet provider, Comcast, is
fairly reliable... we only have short problems (under 6hours downtime) once
or twice a year.

But how is the quality of VoIP phone service?  What happens if my computer
network traffic in the office is high or for whatever reason Comcast's
network is congested itself, is the conversation going to get dropped?

I would stand to save $480 a year by switching for my business phone
service(s), which is looking really good considering Verizon did not fix my
phones for three days this week... and only when I yelled hard enough was
the problem fixed tonight in under 15 minutes over the phone.

Thanks for any tips or info!

Kai

--
Kai M. Radicke