Re: Lug nuts

To: "Brian C. Kennedy" <kennedybc@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Lug nuts
From: David Scheidt <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 21:31:45 -0500
On 4/29/05, Brian C. Kennedy <kennedybc@comcast.net> wrote:

> The local Discount Tire store lost the "key" for the lug nuts on my '96
> Mustang Cobra and they tell me they will "burn" the lock nuts off and
> replace them with an after market set. I can't replace the key because I
> can't find the little piece of paper that you need for that and the dealer
> says the key isn't tracked by VIN number.
>
> I could leave it on a downtown street in Detroit and I'm sure the wheels
> would be off in no time, but then the car would be gone any way. I don't
> have any connections with the Detroit car thieves, so I wondered if anyone
> knew of a less drastic method for removing the lock nuts.

Your favorite tool truck guy sells 12-fluted sockets specifically
designed to do just this.  I'd be utterly shocked if a tire shop
doesn't have a set.  Here's a link to a set by Snap-on.
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=hand&item_ID=73424&group_ID=1652&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

They're a whole lot easier to use than a torch.

--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com